Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1943D copper penny

Hello, my father has a 1943D copper penny that he found. I used a magnet and weighed it and everything looks legit. I am afraid to send this coin to be graded. Is there an alternate way to get this graded by a professional? How much would this penny be possibly worth?

Hello, Chris, please check the date carefully to see if it has been altered.  If not, you may want to show it to an expert or indeed send it in for grading, as these pieces, if legitimate, are worth many tens of thousands of dollars.  There aren't many of them, so that based on the number of these pieces available, it is unlikely that you have a legitimate one, but it is possible, Jim Lawniczak

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Jim Lawniczak

I will answer your questions about encased coins (lucky pennies), which are advertising and event tokens with coins, unually cents, struck with the token.

Long time collector of encased coins and author of several articles on encased coins.

TAMS, ECI (Encased Collectors International)

TAMS -- several articles on encased coins, in particular the encased coins of the 1901 Buffalo Pan American Exposition
Casement -- many articles on encased coins