Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Found coin

I recently found this coin.  I was told it was a gold plated replica.  Can you tell me what it is a replica of, where its from and if it has any value?  Thank you.

I'm sorry for the delayed reply, apparently I haven't got the email notification about your question.

Although it's not really my field, I can help you with this. Yours looks like a replica after a medieval Spanish gold coin called 'doubloon', one of the gold coins most often associated with pirates and their treasures. As such there are many such replicas to be found on sale, for example here:
As you can see those replicas from the webpage above even match the pentagonal shape of your 'coin' and the other general features, so I think yours might even come from that manufacturer.

About value: sorry but such replicas have very low value (see the prices on the above webpage for new replicas). Yet these might prove great gifts for children, of course accompanied by a nice story with the New World, its gold and silver mines and the famous ships and battles and pirates :)

I hope I was of some help.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Bogdan C.

I can answer questions regarding certain Eastern European medieval coins, especially coins issued in Wallachia / Walachei/ Transalpina / Tara Romaneasca, Moldavia / Moldawien / Moldau / Moldova, Transylvania / Siebenbürgen / Transilvania for which I can usually make rough estimates of value based on past public sales. Medieval coinage of Serbia, Bulgaria, Hungary is also a field of interest but I usually can provide only identification, not evaluation, because of insufficient bibliography. Questions about coins of the Ottoman Empire and of the Golden Horde might get answer if you allow double of the usual time of 2 days. I cannot answer questions about medieval coins of Western European states or any Russian coins except Sadagura issues (1771-1774), nor questions about ancient or modern coins. NOTE: I will need to see at least a decent picture or a scan of any specific coin you ask about (with both sides, obverse and reverse). Please do not ask what a coin is worth without sending clear images of it along with your question.

Over 20 years of coin collecting as a hobby (ended, switching to study of other public and private collections), access to good numismatic libraries and various online and offline resources.

Member of Romanian Numismatic Society.

Cercetari Numismatice (Bucuresti)/ Numismatic Research (Bucharest).

Biochemistry graduate, History undergraduate.