Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Primary Judges Award Token

Recently we were clearing land of some grown up trees. Yesterday while clearing logs and sticks, we found a circular shape. When we cleaned off the dirt, we found that it was a coin that said "Medal of Honor Primary Judges Award." Do you have an idea what it was awarded for? We live in Middle TN if that helps with more details. There was once an old homestead at this location and was owned by my father in laws grandparents...early 1900s

Hi Valerie,
This seems to be a pretty common medallion, though there isn't any information to peg it to a specific origin or use. By the design it would be from the early to mid 1900's. As far as what "judges" they were, my guess an even or competition. The torch suggests that the event or competition would have been of an academic or scholastic nature.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).