Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Wartime Nickel 1943-S struck on a copper-nickel planchet?

5C 1943-S
5C 1943-S  
Good afternoon,

I have a Wartime Nickel 1943-S which seems to be struck on a copper-nickel planchet and I am looking for an advice on how to properly verify it.
Unfortunately the conditions of the coin are really poor, with problems of lamination and corrosions too. But the sound of the piece definitely is not like the one of a Wartime Nickel, I have many more and all sound with their clear silver tone. This one sound like a normal Nickel, practically not at all. This is way I got the doubt it could be a transitional mint error coin.
I tried also to check it with a metal detector and the result is that it is recognized differently from al my wartime nickels.
Could be a simple difference of mix in the alloy of the planchet? Or maybe, as I suppose, a defective planchet of cooper-nickel used in the middle of the War period?
Is there a way to determine it?

Thanks for the attention and have a good day,

To start with, the weight, diameter and thickness are key. Compare your coin to a "normal" war nickel of the same period. Your attached photos appear to indicate the coin to be real. Unless there is a significant difference from the norm, in my opinion, the coin would have no added value. Improper metal mixes happen during this period.

1942-1945 [War Nickels]
Designer: Felix Schlag
Weight (grams): 5.000 Grams
Diameter: 21.21 mm (0.835 in)
Thickness: 1.95 mm
Composition: 35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese
Total Silver Content (oz.): 0.05626 oz.Ag
Each war time nickel contains 1.75 grams of silver, 18 coins make 1 ounce of silver, a 40 coin roll contains 2.25 ounces of silver.
Varieties:  1943 DDO; 1943/2; 1945 DDR;
The Jefferson Nickel Analyst, 90pgs

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.