Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1772 8 reals coin

Question
back
back  

front
front  
Would you happen to have more info on the authenticity of this coin thank you

Answer
Hi Mary,
For practical purposes, yes it's a genuine 8 reales. However, technically I believe this is a later (19th century) remake intended for use in the Orient trade. The thing is, the vast majority of the numismatic world does not distinguish between these later example and the original ones struck in the years that are on the coins. Usually they can be identified by the edge (which is not shown here), but the mouth on the portrait is slightly different and leads me to believe this is one of the 19th century remakes. But like I said for practical purposes they are considered authentic and have the same value.
Thanks for the question! :)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits