Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1889 mexican coin

hi, I have an 1889 coin, on one side it has a sunburst looking symbol with a rock looking thing and in the rock it says libertad along the bottom it say 8 R.C. 1889 .A.M. 10D. 20G. and there is an N S S above that. on the other side there is bird with a snake in his mouth with some leaves with the words republica Mexicana. I also have another coin pretty much the same except it is dated 1898. do you have any idea how much these are worth? thanks for your help!

Hi Janet,
The first coin is a Mexican silver 8 reales (their version of a silver dollar) from the Culiacan mint. It's a common date/mint mark combination and worth in the $30-$40 range in good shape with not much wear and no other problems. The 8 reales coins like this were made up until 1897. The 1898 coin of similar design is a silver one peso. As with the 8 reales coin there are different mint marks, but the value will be in the same range as the first coin regardless of which mint the coin was made in.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).