Coin and Paper Money Collecting/quarters

Question
I got a quarter the size of about a nickle in change the other day and was curious about it.
   It is definitely a quarter but it has Liberty (D) for mint with no date on the front and on the back is 2 trees in a scene, is it real or what? can you answer my question?

Answer
2005 five cents
2005 five cents  
Tanya:

Without a photo or more specifics, it is hard to say what you may have. Weight is the key. Compare your coin to a normal quarter (with a regular eagle reverse). Does it weight the same? How about looking at the edge (side). Can you see a copper middle band round the diameter of the coin? Does it have edge reeding all around the coin?

You could have a quarter struck on a 5 cent blank. A normal quarter weighs 5.67 grams, while the Jefferson nickel weighs 5.0 grams. The nickel is softer, thicker metal , and a little smaller (21.21 mm versus 24.26 mm), but can fill up the quarter die chamber when struck almost to the same size.

The 2005 Five Cent design has different obverses and reverse from the normal coin. The reverse has two trees and is called "Ocean View". You may just have a five cent coin. Compare it to another nickel.

If it is truly struck on a nickel blank, and a quarter it could be worth several hundred dollars.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern