Coin and Paper Money Collecting/I think I have no s penny

My No s penny
My No s penny  
I found this penny in plain and i went on the internet because it looked different and I found out about the 1990 no s penny and now I'm wondering if you tell if it is by the pictures.

Hi Sarah,

The 1990 no-S penny you refer to is a mirrored proof coin, available only in mint-issued proof sets.

There is one pictured here :

These were made at the San Francisco mint, and erroneouosly did not get their S mintmark added to the died that made them.

What you have is just a regular, business-strike coin, made at the Philadelphia Mint -- the main mint -- where no pennies get a mintmark.  All pennies from the Philadelphia mint do not have a mintmark -- all pennies from the Denver mint have a D mintmark below the date -- and all pennies from the San Francisco mint are the special proof strikes, and will have an S mintmark, unless it's an error like the 1990 no-S penny.

Feel free to spend your penny -- it's normal and has no added value -- there were almost 7 Billion of them made that year.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College