Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1991 Lincoln cent strike error

1991 Lincoln cent strike error
1991 Lincoln cent stri  
Hello, Mr. Fern.  I have a 1991 Lincoln cent which has a slanted "1" or "I" between the "O" and "D" in "GOD" on the obverse.  The coin has very little wear and still has its luster.  I would like to know if the coin has any value other than its face value.  I have sent you a photo of the coin.   
         Thank you,

Sorry, thought I answered this question. From the photo, it doesn't look like a portion of a number or letter. I can't tell if it's raised or struck into the coin surface.  If it's raised (like the letters in IGWT) it's more likely a die gouge. From "A die gouge, often simply dubbed a gouge, is a raised feature on a coin's surface resulting from the coin's dies having been nicked by a tool, piece of metal, or other hard object to cause an indentation." This would be considered a variety, and may have some significant added value, depending on how many exist or have been found.

If the area where the object is is lower, it could be a dropped letter or number from a struck coin. From  "These are caused when a design element of the die becomes filled with grease, iron filings, and dust or dirt. The foreign materials usually clog the smaller devices of the die, letters and numbers.

If a coin is struck while elements of the design are clogged, a common error is created known as a struck through grease type. Sometimes, the grease mixture becomes hard and compact through hundreds of strikes, is jarred loose and falls onto the planchet. When the coin is struck, a perfect letter, number or other feature is incused into the coin." This type of error would have minimal added value.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.