Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Mis struck US dime

My mother in law left us a coin that appears to be a mis struck dime. I'll try to describe it as best I can. The tail side is a perfect dime strike. Centered and no other marks I can see. The heads side is missing the president's profile. It just gone. I can see something that looks like a smoothed out head, but it has depth. Where the head would be it looks a bit deeper like another dime was mashed into this dime. Just wondering what the worth might be. Thanks in advance for your help.

It sounds like a capped strike, where this coin got stuck in the press and another blank got injected, then they both got struck together again.

This could be worth about $100, but you need to have it looked at and verified by an error expert.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College