Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Error? 2009 US Dollar

I came across this bill today when a co worker traded it to me because it would not work in the pop machine.  It is circulated with a heavy crease in the middle.  Is it an error bill or a phony.  Any help is appreciated.

Based on attached photos, note is likely real. It should be looked at by an expert. I think the reason it didn't work was due to the seal misplacement. The "black" seal should have been on  the other side above the serial number.

The value could be in the $100 range. It would have been worth more without the creases and circulation.

Here's a link with information on FRN's:

Here's link for you to view different types of error currency and their values.

You may want to check US currency listings on eBay from time to time to see what these type of notes brings.

If you live near a coin shop, most dealers will offer an opinion as to the value at no charge.

If you should decide to sell your bills to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. You should always get two or more estimates, and try and deal with PNG (Professional Numismatists Guild) dealers when possible. I'll list the link for you to check dealers near you.

To find a PNG dealer, see Link:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. And check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.