Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Misprint penny

Hello! I was just inquiring to see how much my misprint penny is worth. Its 1984 penny that has the portrait of Lincoln on one side and the Lincoln Memorial on the other, however, the Lincoln Memorial is also printed on top of Licoln's portrait as well as on the reserve side of the coin. The Lincoln Memorial was not fully struck on top of his portrait but it's DEFINITELY there unmistakably. How much is something like this worth and what category of misprint does this fall under? Thank you so much!

Without a photo, or seeing the coin, it is hard too say what you may have. You don't say if the memorial struck on top of Lincoln is raised or incused and reversed. It's possible it is a double strike and worth a $100 or more. It would be classified as a striking error.

You may want to check Ebay listings under US coins in the error category to see what the real errors are going for. You may also want to check out these links on error coin values:

It is also possible it is an altered coin. An altered coin has no added numismatic value. Someone could put two coins in a vise and squeeze them into one another to create your "error". Sometimes people try and fool you into thinking you have a real error coin. Here are examples of coins either being altered or damaged.
See link:
See link:

Your coin should be looked at by an expert. If you live near a coin shop, most dealers will offer an opinion as to the value at no charge.

If you should decide to sell your items to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. You should always get two or more estimates, and try and deal with PNG (Professional Numismatists Guild) dealers when possible. I'll list the link for you to check dealers near you.

To find a PNG dealer, see Link:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. And check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.