Coin and Paper Money Collecting/penny

My daughter has a penny that looks like a saucer sled on the head side the color is different it looks silver edges & the place where the head is is darker the tail side is normal copper color with the sheild emblem. I can send a pic if u need to see it.

Hi Corinna,

It sounds like someone has done some grinding or sanding on your coin.  Modern pennies are made almost entirely of zinc (silver colored), with a thin coating of copper on the outside.  So if the pennny gets worn down, the copper coating goes away and the silvery-looking zinc underneath gets exposed.

Not sure exactly how it would have happened, but your coin would be considered altered or damaged, and has no added collector value.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College