Coin and Paper Money Collecting/question

1971 mint set
1971 mint set  
i have 1971 sealed mint set, i would like to know if i should keep them in the original packing or put them in hard plastic cases ?
i appreciate the feedback
thank you

Hi Lina,

It depends on what you want to do with the sets -- are you looking to sell them in the future, or give them as gifts, or make some kind of display?

The value of a 1971 mint set is quite low -- currently like $2.50 to $3.00 for the whole set -- 2 of those plastic cases cost as much as the set.

If you have the original mint envelope and COA, and you're looking to sell the set down the road, then you should probably just keep everything in the original packaging.  Anyone collecting these mint sets will want them in the original government packaging.

Otherwise, feel free to put them into the plastic cases.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College