Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1865 5 Franken

5 Franken
5 Franken  

5 Franken
5 Franken  
Hi Dmitry,

I recently came across this 1865 5 Franken but have my doubts as far as its authenticity. The weight is 25.2g and the diameter is right at 37. I have read a couple other questions people have asked you about the same coin but I am pretty new to coin collecting so I have doubts about my own ability to judge the coin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Jared,
This is a very commonly faked coin, as are other "shooting thalers" as these medallic coins are called. This one is a modern counterfeit. Some quick signs are weakness in the details and the unusually wide and inconsistent rims. These coins were struck to arguably the best standards of quality in the world at that time, so such flaws will not be found on genuine coins.
There are much more convincing fakes of these out there as well. This is one coin I would not recommend buying unless it is certified by PCGS or NGC.
Thanks for the question! :)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).