Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1966 Silver Penny

I saw a post here before where a writer asked about this same coin.  The advice was to weigh the coin.  If it weighed 3.1g is was copper and worth 1 cent.  I have the same coin in near new condition and it weighs 2.0g.  There is no mint mark/letter.  Is this a rare coin?  Is there any history behind this possibility?

Hi Don,

If your penny weighs 2.0 grams, then it likely was struck on a foreign planchet -- the U.S. Mint made coins for other countries, so it's possible.  If it turns out to be true, it could be worth $100 or more.

You would need to have your coin examined first-hand by an expert, and perhaps submitted for certification.  Check the following websites for lists of shows where these certification services will be attending and will accept submissions :

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College