Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Rear gold pope Joannes Pavlvs coin?

Front of coin
Front of coin  

Back of coin
Back of coin  
This a gold pope Joannes Pavlvs coin. I got this from my dad and he said it was a gift from his aunt who was a nun. Im wondering why I haven't found another thats the same. It has a old case that has the pope seal that leads me to believe it's something important. I wanted to know it's story and its value.

It is one of a wide variety of unofficial commemorative pieces. They are typically made for novelty purposes, such as selling to tourists. They are usually gold plated rather than solid gold. It is not possible to find an exact maker or "story", as these were produced by many makers in many countries and not usually documented. This is why it is often not possible to find other examples of the same medallion. If it is indeed solid gold, it will be worth gold melt value for the most part. There are not many collectors specializing in these types of items who will pay more than gold value.
Thanks for the question.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).