Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Silver Dragon Dollar Coins

If a silver dragon dollar coin that is dated late 1800 through early 1900 has only 80-90% silver could it be possible that the remaining percent of whatever metal used could in fact be magnetic?

Although I'm not an expert in the field of Asian coinage, I can tell you for sure that silver is NOT alloyed/combined with any magnetic metal, so you can safely assume that a magnetic 'silver' coin is actually not silver and most probably it is a fake, intended to trick people.

The type of coin you mention is often counterfeited in Asia, also US silver dollars are targeted by forgers. For more details please see:
[From this website I'll quote:'Silver Chinese coins, along with silver trade dollars from the US and Hong Kong are among the most faked coins in the world; luckily they are easy to spot, while some others are harder. The best place to start is to use a magnet. Any coin intended to be silver that is magnetic is automatically a fake, since silver is not magnetic.']

I hope this helps.
Best regards!

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Bogdan C.

I can answer questions regarding certain Eastern European medieval coins, especially coins issued in Wallachia / Walachei/ Transalpina / Tara Romaneasca, Moldavia / Moldawien / Moldau / Moldova, Transylvania / Siebenbürgen / Transilvania for which I can usually make rough estimates of value based on past public sales. Medieval coinage of Serbia, Bulgaria, Hungary is also a field of interest but I usually can provide only identification, not evaluation, because of insufficient bibliography. Questions about coins of the Ottoman Empire and of the Golden Horde might get answer if you allow double of the usual time of 2 days. I cannot answer questions about medieval coins of Western European states or any Russian coins except Sadagura issues (1771-1774), nor questions about ancient or modern coins. NOTE: I will need to see at least a decent picture or a scan of any specific coin you ask about (with both sides, obverse and reverse). Please do not ask what a coin is worth without sending clear images of it along with your question.

Over 20 years of coin collecting as a hobby (ended, switching to study of other public and private collections), access to good numismatic libraries and various online and offline resources.

Member of Romanian Numismatic Society.

Cercetari Numismatice (Bucuresti)/ Numismatic Research (Bucharest).

Biochemistry graduate, History undergraduate.