Coin and Paper Money Collecting/US trade dollar 1875

Question
1875
1875  

1875
1875  
Hi Dan,

I recently found a US trade Dollar dated 1875, and after some searching I found that there are 3 different versions of it.

I would like to know which version do I have and its value.

Thanks,
Robert

Answer
Hi Robert,

It looks like you have an 1875-S -- a more common variety minted at the San Francisco mint -- the S can be found on the reverse, below the S in the word GRAINS.  

However, Trade dollars are one of the most counterfeited coins in the world -- in fact, tons of them come from your area (Malaysia) -- and your coin has characteristics that make me leery of it's authenticity.  The spotting is unusual as it is.  And the outer edge of the coin, as seen in the second picture, does not have the appearance of a coin struck at the mint, but rather more like a cast copy.  And also, fine details of your coin appear to not match up with those on a real coin -- like the wear on your coin does not look like what normal wear for this coin would look like.

Compare your coin to the image you see of a genuine coin here :
http://coinfacts.com/silver_dollars/trade_dollars/1875_trade_dollar.htm

Next thing you should do is weigh the coin -- it should weigh 27.2 grams

Then see if it sticks to a magnet -- it should not.

If it fails either of these tests, then you have a fake, worth maybe a buck or two as a novelty.

If it passes all these tests, further examination by an expert should be done, just to make sure, because there are so many fakes out there.

If it turns out to be real, I would estimate it's value to be about $125, but like I said, I have doubts about its authenticity.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore