Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1997D possible mint error

QUESTION: Got this penny about a year ago. Recently started looking at it and it appears to me to be a double stamp on some parts? I've looked and looked but find nothing on this maybe you have some knowledge on it?

ANSWER: Hello Troy,

This is an interesting piece.

From the photos it looks like a piece that was made by the "electrotype" process. It would be interesting to get a weight - it should be 2.5 grams.

This does not look like any error that I have seen attributed to the US Mint.

If the weight is good I would take it to your local coin dealer. If they believe it was a mint error you may want to send this to PCGS or NGC and get it authenticated. The cost is about $70 including shipping.

Good Luck,
David McConaghy
New England Coin Exchange

QUESTION: Yes it does weigh 2.5. Im not familiar with electrotype. If you look at in God on the front it appears doubled as well as the O in one cent on the back. I also believe I see another Lincoln behind the main one but it is twisted to the left about 15 degrees

It is encouraging that the weight is correct, that rules out an electrotype.

I think you should take it to a local coin dealer for an opinion. There is no established variety of a 1997 D doubled die so this would be a first.

Good Luck,
David McConaghy

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics