Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1997D possible mint error

Question
Back
Back  
Front
Front  
QUESTION: Got this penny about a year ago. Recently started looking at it and it appears to me to be a double stamp on some parts? I've looked and looked but find nothing on this maybe you have some knowledge on it?

ANSWER: Hello Troy,

This is an interesting piece.

From the photos it looks like a piece that was made by the "electrotype" process. It would be interesting to get a weight - it should be 2.5 grams.

This does not look like any error that I have seen attributed to the US Mint.

If the weight is good I would take it to your local coin dealer. If they believe it was a mint error you may want to send this to PCGS or NGC and get it authenticated. The cost is about $70 including shipping.

Good Luck,
David McConaghy
Numismatist
New England Coin Exchange

QUESTION: Yes it does weigh 2.5. Im not familiar with electrotype. If you look at in God on the front it appears doubled as well as the O in one cent on the back. I also believe I see another Lincoln behind the main one but it is twisted to the left about 15 degrees

Answer
Troy,

It is encouraging that the weight is correct, that rules out an electrotype.

I think you should take it to a local coin dealer for an opinion. There is no established variety of a 1997 D doubled die so this would be a first.

Good Luck,
David McConaghy

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy