Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Help identifying coin from 1600s France

Question
Obverse
Obverse  

Reverse
Reverse  
I have a coin that appears to be from France. The date looks to be 168?, I cannot make out the last number. On the obverse it shows who I think is King Louis XIV since he would have been King in the 1680s. It also has the words LVDOVICVS MAGNVS REX, (I have no idea what it means). On the reverse it shows a person pointing down at two small people who appear to be working. The words are harder to see on the reverse. What I can make out is CESSAT LVSTRARE and over the date EDIFREGIS. I'm not entirely sure if those letters are correct, since the words are pretty worn. If you could give me any information on this coin then that would be great. Thanks in advance for taking a look.

Answer
Hello Bobby,

Your token is dated 1683 and it is referred to as a Jeton which is the French way of saying token. This token gives praise to the large buildings and other public works built in France around this time. Often Jetons were used to praise or shame public officials or events.  

In the condition that yours is in the value would be about $15. Here is a link to a good looking one:

http://www.cgb.fr/batiments-du-roi-jeton-cu-27-batiments-du-roi,fjt_129120,a.htm

Best Regards,
David McConaghy
Numismatist

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy