Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Canadian penny

Canadian penny
Canadian penny  
Hi, I have a 1978 canadian penny, and there is a small five by the by the upper left of the 8. I cannot find anything about by searching, so was hoping for a little information.

Hello Jennifer,

You are correct that this variety has not yet been listed on any price guides and there is no auction history that I can find that describes this variety.

My suggestion would be to send it to NGC or PCGS and have them authenticate this variety. If you have the first one you get to set the value. If it can be proven that the 5 was placed on the working die there should be others.

The cost to authenticate this is about $70 and you still have to pay if they do not believe this is authentic.

In the meantime you can publish your photos on blogs and forums that discuss Canadian coins and see what other members think about it.

Good Luck,
David McConaghy
New England Coin Exchange

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics