Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Franciscvs coin

Question
Coin
Coin  
Hi! I found a coin in my house that looks quite valuable altough it seems a little damaged. One inscription is FRANCISCVS I D G AVSTRAIAE IMPERATOR A. On the other side is GAL LOD IL REX AA 1824 HVN BOH LOMB ET VEN. I guess it s a 1824 A. I don t know anything about coins ,i haven t found out much on the internet and i'd like to know how much it values,what price i would get for it and,where to sell it,if possible.

Answer
Elena,

Check out this link and compare both sides - I think this is what you have:
http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15154.html

Hello Elena,

Here is the coin that I think you have, I couldn't be sure without seeing the other side:

Silver scudo of Francis I, Venice (Italy), 1824.

Obverse:
   Laureated bust of Francis I to r.: FRANCISCVS I. D.G. AVSTRIAE IMPERATOR.
Reverse:
   Double headed eagle with shield surrounded by chain on breast, holding imperial orb and sword.: HVN. BOH. LOMB. ET. VEN. -- GAL. LOD. IL. REX. A.A. 1824

Assuming the obverse is in the same condition as the reverse the value would be $70 to $100. If you sold it to a dealer you should get $50 to $70.

David McConaghy
Numismatist
New England Coin Exchange

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy