Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Old coin

Hi! I found a coin in my house that looks quite valuable altough it seems a little damaged. One inscription is FRANCISCVS I D G AVSTRAIAE IMPERATOR A. On the other side is GAL LOD IL REX AA 1824 HVN BOH LOMB ET VEN. I guess it s a 1824 A. I don t know anything about coins ,i haven t found out much on the internet and i'd like to know how much it values,what price i would get for it and,where to sell it,if possible,i know it s not An US coin but maybe if you could give me at least some general information

Hi Elena,

Thank you for the pictures.

You have an 1824 Austrian Silver Thaler.  That is the bust of Emperor Francis I on it.  The A under the bust indicates it was minted in Vienna -- the most common mint.

Info about this coin can be found here :

It looks like at some time somebody had it mounted to be worn on a necklace or something, and the mounting has since come off.  This, unfortunately, will significantly hurt its value.

In circulated condition, these generally sell in the $30 to $50 range.  But with the damage, a value of about $20 is more realistic.  You could put it on Ebay and see what happens!

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College