Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1893 Colombian Exposition Quarter Dollar

Question
1893 Quarter Dollar
1893 Quarter Dollar  

1893 Quarter Dollar
1893 Quarter Dollar  
This coin was in a box of coins at my grandfather.  It is from the 1893 Worlds Fair, Columbian Exposition.  Web site say it is 90% Silver. It looks to be in very good condition with no wear but certainly has not been protected and has some discoloration.  Web sites say it is rare with final montage around 24,000.  Values listed are several hundred dollars.  Can you confirm? Should I get it appraised?  I now have it in a protective sleeve but would better protection be in order?

Answer
Hi Lon,

You have what is known as an Isabella Quarter -- made by the U.S. Mint for the Columbian Exposition.  These were originally sold as souvenirs for $1 each.

I would estimate yours to be in AU (About Uncirculated) condition.

While the price guides may say they are worth $400 or more, in this condition, a more realistic price of $200 to $250 can be expected for it -- there's just not a lot of collector interest in it at the present time.

From the pictures, it looks to me to be in AU condition, but if you want to risk the approx. $50 in fees to get it graded & encapsulated, IF you get a MS (uncirculated) grade, it could be worth a couple hundred dollars more.

Grading services :
PCGS - www.pcgs.com
NGC - www.ngccoin.com

Good luck!

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore