Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1899 Sydney Gold Sovereign Coin

1899 Sydney Gold Sovereign Coin
1899 Sydney Gold Sover  
1899 Sydney Gold Sovereign Coin
1899 Sydney Gold Sover  
QUESTION: Could you please help answer the following question - What sort of tail on the horse (long, medium and short) does  an 1899 Sydney Sovereign have. Greg McDonalds  coin book on the subject does not say and what grade do you think it is I know its hard to tell from the pictures but any answer will be better than none.

ANSWER: Hi John,
From what I know there are significant short or long tail varieties on the young head and jubilee head sovereigns, not so much on the old head type like this. The medium tail variety is really just a later/weaker state of the long tail.
As far as condition I would say MS-62 from photos.
Thanks for the question! :)

QUESTION: Thanks for your answer  i confirm the grade of MS - 62 however have you noticed the tail ends are pointing towards the denticals and the ends are even not like the long tail that they point down and the hair is not even and the larger gap more like a medium tail, what do you think.

It's really hard to make out the fine detail of the tail hair strands as I can't zoom in on the photo. It sounds like a late die state long tail, which is what some have attributed as a "medium tail" variety. But there is debate on whether there really is a medium tail variety or just a matter of die states. I believe the latter to be true.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).