Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1970S ERROR CENT

Question
us cent
us cent  

us cent
us cent  
Could I please interest you in looking at this error penny still in the cello that it came in from a mint set? I purchased the set in hopes of finding a small date cent but ended up with this error coin. Both sides have problems but the reverse side seems like stain circles whereas the obverse is some type of die problems. I am a novice at coin collecting so do not know the terms used in describing my coinís errors. Is there any value in this coin and is the best value keeping it in the cello with the other mint set coins or do you think the best value would be in slabbing and grading it? Your help would be greatly appreciated! Wes.

Answer
Hi Wes,

Thank you for the pictures.

From what I can tell, it looks like that coin came in contact with something that left those marks on both sides -- probably improper handling my a Mint employee.  However, while those are some interesting marks, I don't believe it would have any significant value, certainly not enough to pay to have it certified.  It's very likely that it could just come back from the grading service marked as "damaged", and poof your money is gone.

Best off to leave it in the set and see if someone would give you a couple extra dollars for the set.

Good luck!

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore