Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1990 -d penny

1990-d penny
1990-d penny  

1990-d penny
1990-d penny  
I was wondering if you can tell me if this is a dd? Yes... I know it's a1990 -d penny... And that's why I'm confused... I thought that they don't make mistakes like this anymore.  
 So... Is it possible?

Hi Tiffany,

Thank you for the pictures.

This is not die doubling, but rather strike doubling, caused by erosion of the die from overuse, resulting in that shadow image that is at a lower level of relief than the original image.  It's a much more common and much less desireable type of doubling, as it could happen on any date or mint, all it takes is for them to use a die for too long.  These generally have a value of about a dollar, if you can find an interested collector.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College