Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Is this a coin?

I have what appears to be a 1957 100L coin from Italy. However, it's not made of silver or copper, but rather a colorful tableau -- with a golden head over black background on the front side, and a golden standing figure over a black background on the back side. What is this? Thank you.

It sounds like a coin that was enameled. These are very collectible and actually worth quite a bit more than a normal coin if they are done well. If you would like to attach a picture of the coin to a follow-up question I can give you more definite info.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).