Coin and Paper Money Collecting/double die?

back end
back end  

heads up
heads up  
This is a 1992-D US Lincoln Penny, could you please look at this for me and some how educate me if this is an error,  In the Letting i been seeing this mainly in pennies from the 70's I  thank you for taking your time and looking

Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your pictures.

It looks to me like the coin "chattered" (vibrated) while being stamped, causing that doubled image.

This would be considered a more common stamping error, as opposed to a more valuable doubled die error, where the error occured in making the die that stamps the coins, so that there are numerous coins with the identical error.

If you can find an interested buyer, you may be able to get a dollar or two for it.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College