Coin and Paper Money Collecting/old penny

I found a wheat back penny dated 1857 or 1851would like to know if of any value It is pretty worn not sure of date

Hello,  Delores, the "wheat backed" reverse on cents with Lincoln portrait on the obverse were made from 1909 to 1958.  So you wouldn't have any dated from the 1800s.  In 1851 the U.S. made a large cent, much larger than today's cents.  1857 was both the last year of the large cents and the first year of the "Flying Eagle" copper nickel cents (much thicker than today's cents, but the same diameter), with an eagle on the obverse.  Hope this helped, Jim Lawniczak

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Jim Lawniczak

I will answer your questions about encased coins (lucky pennies), which are advertising and event tokens with coins, unually cents, struck with the token.

Long time collector of encased coins and author of several articles on encased coins.

TAMS, ECI (Encased Collectors International)

TAMS -- several articles on encased coins, in particular the encased coins of the 1901 Buffalo Pan American Exposition
Casement -- many articles on encased coins