Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Possible

QUESTION: I am in the process of cataloguing some of the coins that I inherited from my father, (born 1901) and grandfather, (born 1870's).  They have been kept in a safe until now and I finally decided to get them out and look at them.  In the process, I came across a 1918 Mercury Winged Dime.  When I turned it over to look at the reverse side, I found that instead of a Mercury Dime, there is a Wheat One Cent, I guess copper, same size as the dime, same thickness and weight.  Not sure what to make of it!  Does not appear that it had been tampered with due to the fact that it had been kept locked up until now!  I would appreciate any information on it.  Could it indeed be a "Mule"?

ANSWER: I really need to see some good picture.

Somewhere in the office I have a coin that sounds identical to yours.  It was a magician's coin.
two separate halves were glued together to form one coin.

Send some pictures and I will see what I can do for you.

Joe Hylas

Liberty Winged Dime
Liberty Winged Dime  

Liberty Winged Dime
Liberty Winged Dime  
QUESTION: Thank you so much for your answer Mr. Hylas.  I have taken several photos on my IPhone.  I hope they capture what you need to see.  If not, please let me know and I'll attempt to take better ones.  I also have many more coins, some in point are Morgan Silver Dollars from 1878-1921 (40 of them) some of which are listed on Cointrackers website as valuable.  Most of them are in quite good condition.  (I know that's quite objective☺️). I also have Peace Dollars, standing and seated Liberty Half and Quarter Dollars, lots of Liberty Dimes, Buffalo Nickels, Indian Head Pennies,  and many, many more.  I'm quite overwhelmed at the moment.  Could use some advise on how to proceed.  Thanks in advance for any help you Cavan give me.

Hello again Susan!

It is just as I expected!  It is a magician's coin made from 2 half coins.  From the photos, it appears that the edgle of the coin is flat, like a penny.  A dime would have a reeded edge.
There were a couple of ways that these were made.  The 2 coins would be ground down to be about half the normal thickness.  The halves would then be adhered to each other.  The final step would be to polish down the edge of the penny (which is larger than the dime) so it is even with the dime.  That would leave a visible seam around the edge.
Another way was to hollow out a penny, thin the dime as earlier, and set the dime inside the penny.

Cataloging a collection of something you are not familiar with can be daunting.  What may take me a couple of hours might take you days.  Then getting values that are accurate is knowing who to check with.  Most of the value guides represent the retail value, not what you would get when you sell.  Often coins trade hands for well below the retail value.  The are good for one thing; showing you which coins are the rarest by looking at the price.  If you have one of the truly rare ones, then it's knowing to whom you will sell it.

If you would like assistance, I would be more than happy to help out. I buy collections all the time.  Some people choose to have me visit them, and if the collection warrants the expense, I do so.  Others ship the collection to me to catalog and make an offer on, so I am pretty well versed in current market prices.

Joe Hylas
Omega Precious Metals

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow