Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1962 50 soles peruvian gold coin

Question
My mother died recently and left me several gold coins. One is a 1962 50 soles peruvian gold  coin. It seems in good shape except for some hairline scratches. I could not find this particular coin for sale on ebay, although a 1967 50 soles coin was being offered for sale at 3200 dollars. Do you know the mintage number of coins for that year? Is this rare enough to actually put up for auction?

Thank you for any response

Answer
Hi Kim,
The mintage for that year is 3,319. The problem is that this series was made for over 20 years, and even though all years have low mintage (some as low as 400), the total mintage for the series makes it easy to acquire an example. This is the kind of series where the vast majority of collectors just want an example of the type, few people collect them by specific years. For that reason the collectible premium is only about 15% for a nice problem free specimen. These are bullion coins which were not meant for general circulation, so the coins are expected to be mint state. A piece with wear or issues is, in practicality, worth bullion value ($785 at the moment). Even if you sold it at auction for a small premium, the auction fees would result in you getting melt value or possibly even less.

Thanks for the question! :)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits