Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1980 distorted dime

Question
dime
dime  
I see you answered a similar question back in 2006.  I have a 1980 dime with a distorted face.  The back of the coin in unremarkable, though the dime itself is not completely level.  Just curious if you were ever able to find out what caused this.  An image is attached

Answer
Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for the picture.

Usually what happened to your coin is caused by it being exposed to heat -- like maybe it was in a house fire -- where it absorbed heat from above, while it laid on a (relatively) cooler surface, which caused the sandwich of metals it's made out of, to expand at different rates, causing the distortion of the one surface.  Think of it like when you're frying an egg and it develops a bubble in the white.

Considered post-mint damage, it has no collectible value.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore