Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1980 distorted dime

I see you answered a similar question back in 2006.  I have a 1980 dime with a distorted face.  The back of the coin in unremarkable, though the dime itself is not completely level.  Just curious if you were ever able to find out what caused this.  An image is attached

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for the picture.

Usually what happened to your coin is caused by it being exposed to heat -- like maybe it was in a house fire -- where it absorbed heat from above, while it laid on a (relatively) cooler surface, which caused the sandwich of metals it's made out of, to expand at different rates, causing the distortion of the one surface.  Think of it like when you're frying an egg and it develops a bubble in the white.

Considered post-mint damage, it has no collectible value.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College