Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2000 S quarter

2000 s quarter
2000 s quarter  

2000 s quarter
2000 s quarter  
Yes... I got this 2000 S quarter back with my change.  I thought AWESOME...  A silver quarter ((but it looks like it belongs in a proof set, because of the mirrored look.  But when I got home, I looked at it closer and seen that it wasn't all silver ...the edge has copper..? I'm confused... Can you please help me..?

Hi Tiffany,  

Great job on the question and pictures.  Yes, this quarter was once part of a proof set.  And it appears to be the clad version.  In the year 2000 Proof (S) Quarters were made both Clad and Silver.  The clad version has a weight of 5.67 grams vs the Silver version at 6.25 grams.  Hope this helps!

Please remember to never clean coins, this can damage and lessen their value.  Also, soft plastics can contain harmful chemicals that can react with coins over time.  Try using inert materials when storing coins.  Plus, it is always a good idea to store coins in a safe.  The safe should not be exposed to the elements and should not be up against a wall to the outside.  These are just a few tips I have learned over the years to help keep your collection in top shape.

If you found this information helpful please nominate me for category expert in coins.  If coming through Turlock or Los Banos, CA please feel free to look us up at Thoreson Numismatics.

Thanks for the question,

Troy Thoreson,  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Troy Thoreson

Please, no error coin questions unless your coin is dated 1955 or before. I can answer questions regarding all U.S. Coins, Gold & Silver bullion, including regular mint and proof issue coins and currency. Since 2009, I have been contributing to the Red Book, "A Guide Book of United States Coins", by R.S. Yeoman along with two other publications. I currently run two coin shops in California.

I have over 30 years experience in Numismatics. I own two coin shops and have examined thousands of coins over the years. Please allow up to 2 business days for an answer. This is a free service and I am happy to answer questions - but please be patient and understanding of my time.

My company is an authorized P.C.G.S. and N.G.C. dealer. I am a Life Member of the American Numismatic Association and California State Numismatic Association. We are also an authorized Whites Metal Detector dealership.

I have written articles for Coin World and the Rare Coin Market Report.

I have a certificate of completion from the American Numismatic Association on how to detect counterfeit U.S. Gold Coins and how to Grade U.S. Coins along with other certifications. I have a Bachelor of Science in Business with a concentration in Accounting and a minor in Computer Information Systems.

I am listed as a contributor to the Red Book, "A Guide Book of United States Coins", the Red Book, by R.S. Yeoman. I have been contributing to the Red Book since 2009. I also contribute to the Blue Book and the new Professional edition Red Book. I have many other awards and honors.

My past consulting clients included eBay, Inc., Yahoo! Auctions, and the United States Postal Service. I have many other great customers and help all no matter their level of collecting.