Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2008 P state Quarter with a clear edge pic set1

2008 state Quarter with clear Edge
2008 state Quarter wit  

2008 clear edge
2008 clear edge  
Sir, here are some pic about the coin I found.

To my knowledge only silver quarters from 1964 and below dates carry that kind of edge or if its a Proof quarter that is minted by the "S" mint.
Those coins have a frosted image and clear mirror like background.This one is more beautiful than a normal business strike,the features more prominent.

This is a "p" mint mark carrying a clear edge,How is this possible?

Do satin finish special issues by the US mint carry a clear edge?
Did the Philadelphia and Denver mint both make satin finish special issues for collectors? And do they carry a clear edge?
I do have accurate weight device.The quarter does not weight 5.67 grams as all regular  quarters should.

Appreciate your views and knowledge on this coin.

Did I find a million dollar coin?
To my knowledge the Philadelphia mint does not make silver Quarters
Upon your final suggestion I can send it in to ANACS for grading etc.

God Bless,
Lincoln cent Treasure Hunter.
PS: Couple more pic of the coin in another post here.

Hi Beck,

If it were silver, it would weigh 6.25 grams and bear the S Mintmark.

The picture makes the coin look like it was silver plated and polished.  If that is the case, there would be no copper edge.

I am not saying that this is the case, just what I can see from the pictures.  It would be highly unlikely that it is a genuien silver quarter with the P mintmark.  They do not strike silver quarters at the Philly mint, hence there is no possibility of a silver blank making it's way to the presses in Philly.

I think the coin was probably altered but to be sure, submission to ANACS is advised.

Good Luck!

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow