Coin and Paper Money Collecting/hamburg gold coin

Several years ago I asked you about this coin with a "bird" on one side and a castle with a crown and the word Hamburg on the other side.  You said it was a vintage souvenir coin and that they were mostly plated.  the one I have is solid gold.  Is it collectible with a notch in it (from gold testing)?

Hi Beverly,
Solid gold pieces are hard to find, but unfortunately there is a limited market for people that collect such items. With damage (the notch) such souvenir pieces rarely bring more than gold melt value, practically speaking. They may sell for a small premium, but auction or consignment fees would reduce the net amount to melt or even less.
Thanks for the question.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).