Coin and Paper Money Collecting/penny misprint

Question
Backside of penny
Backside of penny  

Frontside of penny
Frontside of penny  
I was looking through some pennies I had and I came across one that appeared to be a 1976 and I am sure that what it originally was, but from what I can tell, it seems that it was printed on top of the 7 with a 1, giving it the look of a 1916 although it is missing the wheat marks on the back of a typical 1916 penny.

Answer
Hi Brian,

Thank you for the pictures.

You're right, it is a 1976 penny.  What you're seeing in the date was just something caused by damage the coin received after it left the mint -- like the other damage marks you see on the coin.

Nothing special here -- go ahead and spend it!

:)

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore