Coin and Paper Money Collecting/rare coins

My dad was a collector of coins for over 70yrs. He was the top collector in the area and had a shop. he knew everything about coins. He died last yr and i found a lot of things he had, one book said not for sale. Has coins that are miss stuck and gold tokens, silver coins for 1749, what is the best way to have them sold. I do not want to get taken.  

Mark Kotellos

Do the research to find out what you have. Lots of info available online. Take the stuff you are interested in selling to at least two recognized PNG coin dealers and ask for an offer of what they'd pay. You can figure they'd pay about 60% of retail. Compare those to your estimate.

As far as getting the most for your money, selling them yourself will likely get you the highest return, but take you the most time. Sell them online through eBay or directly on coin related pages on places like Facebook.

Another way to sell is to find a major auction house to offer your collection for sale. They'd likely photograph and catalog the better pieces for inclusion into an upcoming auction. They normally get about 15% to 20% of the sell price as a commission.

Lastly, selling to a dealer will be the quickest, but likely net you the least as far as money. It all depends on what you want to get and how much time you have.

Mis-strikes are speciality items, and should be offered to dealers who handle that type of item.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.