Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1941 slanted 1 wheat penny

Question
Hi Dan, I was looking thru some old pennies and came across a 1941 wheat that has a slanted 1. I saw your post about the coin and wanted more information on it. You had two at on time?
What's it worth?

Your post in 2009:
I have had two of these. In 1967 it was in an 1956 mint error book for over $300. However I lost it. I now have one that you can see that the one was twisted somehow when stamped leaving an impression where it was supposed to be. Have you seen this.I saw someones question and thought I would ad this. Thanks

Answer
Hi James,

The post you refer to was from a different expert answerer.  Anything like this that I've ever had was the result of post-mint damage.  It's not possible to mint a penny with a slanted 1 without minting thousands of them -- the date is stamped right into the die, and each die makes thousands of coins.  And if there were thousands of slanted 1 coins minted, it would be a well-known error.

So your slanted 1 must have been caused by the coin being hit by something that caused the 1 to become deformed.  If you have a magnifier that is at least 16 power, you will likely be able to see miniscule marks by the 1, where the metal has been misplaced when the 1 got hit by something.

Considered as being damaged, this would have no collector value.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore