Coin and Paper Money Collecting/No-Edge Dime 1981 P

dime front face
dime front face  

back of same coin
back of same coin  
I have this dime that the outside edge was never finish by the mint. the face and back are perfect but the edge all around the coin on both sides. Is it worth anything?

Hi Donald,

Sorry, but this coin was altered after it left the mint.  The reeded edge on a dime comes from the collar that holds the coin blank inside the press when it gets struck -- the front, back, and edge get struck all at once.  It is possible for a blank to be only partially inserted into the collar, causing a partial reeded edge, but to get no reeds at all, it would have to have been struck out of the collar, which would have caused major deformation of the coin -- which this does not have.

Somebody, in their boredom, either mechanically or manually altered the edge on this coin.  As such, it's considered damaged and has no collector value.

Wish I had better news for you!

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College