Coin and Paper Money Collecting/MYSTERY COIN

Please help. I have a golden coin about the size of a silver dollar.One side has the statue of liberty with two buildings (one on either side) dates around the top 1886-1986 the words "The Statue of Liberty" on the bottom. Reverse side has the torch  the with words "I lift my lamp beside the golden door". What do I have?

Hi Bob,

The fact that you did not mention a denomination, eg. cent, dollar etc., tells me that this is a medal, not a coin.  If it were gold or silver, it would state that somewhere on the coin.

They did make brass souvenier medals that sound like what you have.  Without seeing it, I would have to bet that it is infact, a brass meal that has little value.

If you want to send me a picture, I may be able to confirm my suspicion.

Joe Hylas
Omega Precious Metals  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow