Coin and Paper Money Collecting/penny with no date and missing letters

Penny no date
Penny no date  

Penny no date
Penny no date  
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. I am a novice collector and recently went through 15 rolls of penny's and found this penny in great shape with no date and missing letters. There is slight mark of the date so it looks like the die barely touched the surface but I can't make out the numbers. It's possible it can be 1995 but really hard to say. I see no scuffing or rubbing marks under a magnifying glass. I have not come across anything like it. Also the b and e are missing from "liberty" and the y is barely there. Have you seen this and is it rare? Would you be able to estimate its value? The reverse is Lincoln memorial. It feels like zinc but I have not weighed it. By hand it feels lighter than a copper. Thank you again for your time.

Hi Jason

You can send that coin to ANACS for inspection and certification.  It appears to me, from the photo, that this may be a "struck through" coin.

The dies have caps on them that are removed before striking the planchet.  If the cap is not removed, the details are similar to what you have.  But I can't determine that from a photo.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow