Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1983 silver penny

I have a 1983 silver penny. Don't stick to the magnet.solid no copper outlining need some help finding out what metal it is thank you

Hi Martin,

The metal in question is zinc.  In 1982, the mint switched the composition of pennies from almost entirely copper, to almost entirely Zinc (with a thin outer layer of copper).  What you have is a penny struck on a planchet that did not get it's outer copper layer.  Known as an unfinished planchet error, it's value is a couple dollars.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College