Coin and Paper Money Collecting/roman penny

QUESTION: I have one of those roman pennies the year 1872 is it valuable? and how do I clean it

ANSWER: Hello Deb,

The Roman empire ended in the year 476 so I think it might be something else. If you include a clear photo of both sides I will be happy to identify the coin and let you know the value. You should never clean any coins.

David McConaghy
New England Coin Exchange

QUESTION: Sorry David a misunderstanding, not a roman penny but the english roman penny,  the one with the roman lady on one side, I saw one on your web site which i now can't find !, It is very dark and I am to scared to clean it, can just make out the date, if this makes any sense and you please reply, I don't think it will photograph very well unless it can be cleaned.  Regards  Deb

Hi Deb,

I am sorry but I do not know what you are referring to. Can you tell me the date on the coin? Is the date 1872? If it is then it sounds like you have a large British penny in poor condition. The lady on the front was the Queen of England - nothing to do with Rome or the Roman empire.

There is very little value in this coin if that is what you have.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics