Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1984 Jose Ma Morelo Coin Value

QUESTION: I have several of these coins with the engraver's signature, ra,  evident on the lapel. From a collectors standpoint, what are these worth? Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Hello Julie,

Can you tell me what country these coins are from and what is the denomination? If you include a photo I can give you very specific information.

David McConaghy

1984 1$ peso, mex
1984 1$ peso, mex  
QUESTION: I'm sorry. I should've been more specific. This is a 1984 Mexican 1$ Peso. I seem to have three varieties: 1) with the engravers initials, 2) engravers initials buffed out, and 3) flat, no initials and no buffing apparent.
The image attached is of #3 but I'm sure it would need to be examined.

How would I find out if I indeed have a true flat coin without initials or buffing? And what are each types worth?

Thank you.

Hello Julie,

Thanks for the photo and additional details.

The one in the photo is the common one, not too much value, about 25 cents.

If the initials were actually "buffed" out then the value would be zero, its just an altered coin.
I can not find the engraver's initials on this coin - I see the Mo for the mint mark and I can see the name on the coin. Can you tell me where the engraver's initial are located?

If it were truly a mint error and they were left off by mistake the value would range from $10 to $100.

David Mc

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics