Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2000P Copper Maryland Statehood Quarter

Question
Obverse
Obverse  

Reverse
Reverse  
I have a 2000P Maryland Statehood Quarter that appears to be all copper.  There are no signs of the alloy planchet anywhere. The coin is not colored in any way and has not been treated. It also does not appear to be counterfeit. I've been collecting for over 50 years and have not seen anything like this one.  Are you familiar with this type of error?

Answer
Denis:

Yes. It is possible. Usually the "all copper" coins are thinner. What does your coin weigh compared to a normal quarter? A normal quarter weighs 5.67 grams. Is it the same thickness? This type of error can happen at the start or end of a roll of planchet material, where the cladding that normally "sandwiches" the copper core in the center is missing.

It could be copper plated. If it weighs the same or slightly more than normal, it's suspect and likely made after it left the mint.

Your coin should be looked at by an expert to determine if it is a legitimate mint error. A real error could be worth several hundred dollars. If the weight is different from a normal quarter, let me know.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern