Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Lincoln Cent - No Reverse

Side 1
Side 1  

Side 2
Side 2  
Hi Ron,

My uncle gave me a 5-gallon water bottle filled with pennies and I'm going through them one at a time removing the wheat cents.  Yesterday I came across an error coin.  I flipped this particular coin over a few times in order to see if it was a wheatie or not, and discovered that it didn't have a reverse.  It's a 1957 cent that has the same obverse punched on each side.  Depending on which way you flip it over, the other side has been punched at either a 90 or 270 degree angle.  Looking with a magnifying glass, you can easily determine the penny hasn't been altered in any way after leaving the mint.... this was definitely minted this way.

I haven't heard of such an error coin.  Any idea to its value and suggestions for me?  Thanks!

I can guarantee you almost to 100% this is a manmade error done with two "normal" coins being ground down and bonded together. The obverse die is significantly different than the reverse die. The reverse and obverse dies cannot be interchanged. Do the drop test with your "odd" coin on a glass surface. It will likely sound dull (no ring). Try the same thing with a normal wheat cent. It will sound sharp and have a ring to it. You may also try and weigh the two pieces as well as look for a seam along the edge. There has never been, to my knowledge, a cent with two normal obverses. Just can't happen.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.