Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1974-D Kennedy Half DDO

Question
QUESTION: I recently purchased a 1974-D, Kennedy Half dollar, DDO, coin from a respected dealer. I feel that I paid a fair price for it at under $20. The coin is part of a sealed mint set, having never been opened. My question is this: a) is this Doubled-Die variety coin worth, or might it become worth, having it graded by a third party? b) Also, I've never submitted to a TPG before. Should the coin be submitted in its government Mint Set sealed packaging (along with the other Mint Set coins)? I know this coin is not particularly valuable, but my interest is that it could become more valuable in time. Your advice would be much appreciated. Jack Jackson

74-D 50c c/u
74-D 50c c/u  
74-d 50c ODD EDS
74-d 50c ODD EDS  
ANSWER: Depends on the double die and the die state. A nice 74-D EDS can bring $100 to $150. Cost to grade and insure/shp both ways would likely run $20 to $30 plus grading. Error/Variety attribution is extra. Total cost would likely be in the $50 to $60 range. Unless this is an EDS and a MS64 or higher, I'd opt not to have it graded by a 3rd party.

QUESTION: I appreciate the advice and will follow through with your recommendation. For clarity, implied in your answer, that I shouldn't hesitate to open the sealed packaging. Obviously, I can't speculate on the coins grade or know if it's an EDS unless I break it open. I thought that leaving it sealed would establish its provinance, but if I'm not going to submit it to a TPG, it won't matter. Does that sound about right?

Answer
Yup. If you live near any major shows, you can take the coin there and get a verbal opinion, likely free of charge.

I've found several in mint sets. The coin I sent pics of just was sold on an FB coin related page in auction (with no other bid) at $49. That coin was an EDS in my opinion. I'd opt not to remove from original mint packaging. The price you paid was fair IMO.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern