Coin and Paper Money Collecting/coin values

1824 5 franc with case
1824 5 franc with case  
Good Morning

I had an elderly gentleman ask me if I could help him determine the value of some of his coin collection.

I realize that the best way for this to happen would be to have the coins either sent or brought into your location.  I am wondering if I sent you pictures if you could give me an estimate of their value.  This man is going to sell them and I want him to get fair value for them.
   1824, 5 franc coin with matching case
   1858-1958 Canadian Silver Dollar -
   1963, 64, 66, Canadian 50cent pieces
   1959 Canadian Dollar
   1921 US Dollar

I look forward to your response.

The Canadian coins and the 1921 US dollar are worth melt value in circulated condition, and a little bit above that in mint state, unless they are exceptional examples.
The 1824 French 5 francs appears to have the A mint mark for Paris mint. That is the most common one among the various mints for that date. It looks to be in pretty good condition, though tough to tell from the picture. The coin itself is likely worth in the $60-$80 range. That case, however, is a gorgeous piece. Very well done, looks like it may be silver as well. You would need to consult an expert on antique silver rather than coins for that piece, but I imagine it would be worth a few hundred dollars.
Thanks for the question.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).